Monday, December 28, 2009

December 28: An Unbelievably Wonderful and Wintry Day.

Once again, as usually goes with winter recess, I was slow to get up. But I guess there is nothing wrong with an easy morning. Upon awakening I was ecstatic to see that snow had returned to the ground after a few days of grass. Then I curled up for a few hours with a few books. One of them a biography on Edward Moore Kennedy by the staff at the Boston Globe, which is really a phenomenal book if you ever get the chance, the other Gulliver's Travels, which I also am thoroughly enjoying.
Though the day seemed to slip through my fingers, I was perfectly content in my big red armchair with a few good reads. I put the finishing touches on my Secret Santa present for the party I was going to tonight and then headed out to dinner with a couple friends. We went out and got pizza, my favorite food, and the good company only made it better.
At the party some of us went sledding. It was such a beautiful night and there's nothing like doing the most childish things to bring a wave of nostalgia head on. But if you give a mouse a cookie, he'll ask for a glass of milk. And similarly, if you go sledding, you get cold. The only solution: Hot Cocoa. The perfect remedy for a shivering group.
Finally we ended the night with cookie decorating and Secret Santa. As shocking as it may seem, I've gone my entire life without one of these experiences. I was so excited, and I really lucked out. I guess I was good this year because Kris Kringle gave me a super mustard colored sweatshirt and a starbuck's giftcard. Great stuff. Now I'm watching Conan with my mom, so all in all, a truly wonderful day. :)
I don't think my day could have been overshadowed by any of history's vast events. But here's its attempts.
In 1835, John C. Calhoun became the first Vice President of the USA to resign. Man did he have crazy eyes. A cross between fear-instilling and mesmerizing.
In 1879, the Tay Bridge Disaster killed 75 in Scotland.
In 1908, an earthquake in Sicily killed 75,000. Man these are horribly depressing.
In 1973, the Endangered Species Act was passed in the United States. Much more uplifting. Who doesn't like pandas?

Overall, I think that my day came out on top. That's two in a row! But tomorrow I've got a four hour car ride. Nothing worse than a lack of leg room for a prolonged period of time, so maybe the past will capitalize on my dearth of fun.

Hope it's a good one,
Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment