Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A decent day, despite prolonged cramping.

Today I woke up early. But not to anything exciting. I was awoken to my mother's demands for my bags to be packed. So I did. But yet we still sat around the house dilly dallying for a few hours, and there's nothing I like less than dilly dallying. Then we departed for my grandmother's house, which is indeed an excellent prospect, though the four and a half hours prior in the car I was dreading. Fortunately before we left I was afforded the opportunity to say goodbye to my girlfriend so that was good.
The car ride wasn't as bad as I expected. I learned a lot of new stuff listening to NPR. There's nothing like periodic classic music and a host of interesting stories from around the world. Today I learned the story behind "The Men Who Stare at Goats," the plight of the Hopi Indian, and a little about the inner workings of the genius of Thelonious Monk.
When we arrived at my grandparents house I was very happy to see them so that put a better tone to the day. We had a wonderful dinner with some spicy soup.
But now the Sabres are losing to the Penguins by a hefty three and I doubt they'll come back. I had my BuffSabes slippers on and everything! Man!

Today being merely average, It will be no surprise if history can take this one from me.
In 1845, Texas was annexed as the 48th state. So that's one giant plus.
In 1851, the first YMCA opened in Boston Mass. Thank God for that too, what would we do without the dance?
In 1937, Ireland adopted a new constitution, obviously beneficial to its citizens.
Finally, in 1966, the Beatles started recording Penny Lane which I know I grew up singing as I'm sure many others have.

I think the clear winner today is history, but hopefully tomorrow I'll make a comeback. I guess you can't win them all!

Hope it's a good one,
Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment