Thursday, December 31, 2009

A great goodbye to 2009.

This morning started much like yesterday's. I awoke and was promptly greeted by a breakfast laid out by my grandmother, and an open newspaper. It yearned for my reading. So I gladly obliged and my day was off to a great start. Unfortunately, I spent the next FIVE hours merely sitting around. My sister and I were starting to think the day would never get better. And my nose wouldn't stop running! But then we went into town and saw a production of Dylan Thomas's play for voices, "Under Milk Wood." My sister and I went alone and we were two of the few who weren't old enough to collect social security. Overall, the production was a bit peculiar, but it was a whole lot better than what we had been doing. When we returned to my grandparents' house, my two sets of aunts, uncles, and cousins had arrived and that was quite the welcome home. It was really good to see everybody, and it was the first time I had met my littlest cousin who is only a few months old.
My family made all kinds of really good food, so I stuffed myself. That may not have been the wisest decision because I had a 5k to run half an hour later, but it ended up being fine. I threw up in my mouth a couple times and was notably slower than normal, but it was still a good release of energy.
Then we went around looking at the light displays and ice sculptures that the town has up before returning home to even more food. I am "that guy" in the family. The one who, if there's food left, is capable of finishing it. So I have quite had my fill. But anyway now I'm sitting around writing with a little time that I stole away from my family, but I'm having a really great time. So hopefully, I'll get today's nod.

In 1759, Arthur Guinness begins brewing. I guess for a lot of Irish people that's a giant positive.
In 1923, Big Ben's chimes are broadcasted on BBC for the first time. That's slightly neutral, I would suppose on the verge of a positive.
In 1946, Harry S Truman states that hostilities of WWII have ended. Very good!
IN 2007, the Bocaue Fire kills seven in the Philippines. Significantly less good. :(
Overall, I'd have to call this one a draw. History proved a noble opponent today, so I am more than content in our outcome.

Hope it's a good one,
Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment